Saturday 26 April 2014

South Cerney, Gloucestershire


The Norman door at All Hallows has it all. You could draw it for weeks. Rex Harris's photo illustrates the beaky creatures, the zig zags, some neat flowers, and some amazingly intricate patterns in the innermost arch. I thought the latter even smacked of something interlacey and Anglo-Saxon... I need to draw them to explore the patterns (have to go back).


The door jambs have an interesting beaded motif, rather like stone hinges. They form little shelves.



I love drawing vegetationy scrolls. They're so easily overlooked. But if you draw them, you really See them. And I enjoy that, I feel like I'm properly interacting with what the carvers intended, nearly a thousand years ago.


 Images © Rhiannon 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment