Saturday 23 August 2014

Nettleton and Burton, Wiltshire

It took me a long time to find this church. Mr Pevsner lists it under 'Nettleton'. Believing I could find Nettleton without the map, I figured I could find the church. But on my third drive round the village, the truth dawned - actually, the church is some way away in Burton. Obviously.

But I'm glad I didn't give up, because the interior of the church (St Mary the Virgin) is really something special. You can see a photo on the Bath In Time website, where you can see the big arches and their columns. These feature some rather endearing faces. Everything leans at a strange angle and it gives the building a very ancient air. The floor is rather wonky too.

Even the font is a bit asymmetrical (in true Norman style). When I got my drawing home, I felt it had to be wrong, because I'd drawn such an overhang on the right hand side, with nothing similar on the left. So I attacked it with my pen, thinking it was bad draftsmanship. But looking later at a photo I'd taken - I think it really was that out of line. You can see what I mean here on the village website.

It was a shame to visit here without B as she would have enjoyed the trumpety scallops of the font a lot. I liked the solid zigzagginess of the top border too. I think it's somewhere I'd like to return. It had a pleasant solid atmosphere.


Interesting scale design on the Norman font at Burton (Nettleton), Wiltshire


 Images © Rhiannon 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment