Sunday 21 June 2015

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire


I had to sit quite close to this amazing church to draw it, hence the kind of distorted angles. It's the opposite side to this view. It's been so long since I've visited. This place is amazing though, it has such atmosphere inside. And as for outside - it's like the building has been transported through time and just plopped into Bradford on Avon. It's quite strange to look at the distinctively Saxon arches and think 'they're actually real'. In most places you get a mere hint of surviving saxon-ness. Here, you get the whole package. Which is not to say that it hasn't been messed with here and there - what would you expect in 1000+ years. I suppose the building must have benefitted from the mysterious camouflaging that resulted in its surprise rediscovery in Victorian times.

Great English Churches has an excellent page about this special place.

These are the Anglo Saxon angels which are now high up in the church. I'd love to have been able to draw them myself but I'd worn myself out by then :) These drawings are in 'Early Christian Symbolism' by J. Romilly Allen.

splodgy painting copyright Rhiannon 2015

3 comments:

  1. You have captured the tall and narrow nature of the church. Great webpage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work and look forward to seeing more of it. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very encouraging, Dr T. Your paintings look far more accomplished though! You should post some more on your own site. I like the idea that you sell them for charity.

    ReplyDelete